In accordance with the Education Welfare Act 2000, parents or guardians of students who are absent for 1 or more days are required to contact the school to explain the absence.
Please telephone 027 70177 extension 1 and give the reason for the absence and complete an absence note which is at the back of the student journal when student is returning to school. This note will be held in the students file.
It is obligatory for schools to inform the National Education Welfare Board (NEWB) if there is a concern regarding attendance.
Daily procedures and issues
- Students are expected to attend school on all official school days. The school day starts at 8.45 a.m.
- Students should be on time for class.
- Students may not enter a room if their teacher is not present. They should line up quietly outside the room. If students are remaining in the room, the door should remain open until the arrival of the next teacher.
- Students do not have permission to sit where they like; teachers will assign them seats.
- Students may leave a room only when permission from a teacher has been obtained and a note is written in the journal.
- Students may not leave the school building between classes or during morning break.
- On no account should students leave school without permission.
- Students must be responsible for their own property. It is not recommended to bring valuables to school.
- School bags and personal belongings must be kept in an orderly fashion in the year area. Students should store their school bags in their year area at break and lunch-time.
- Mobile phones must be switched off and kept in schoolbags or lockers during the school day. A mobile may be used only during lunch break. If a student breaches this rule the phone must be given to the teacher and handed in to the main office. Only a Parent/guardian may collect it from the main office. Recording by mobile phones is strictly prohibited.
- Students are expected to treat their surroundings with respect and pride. Damage to school property will lead to disciplinary action and payment for repairs.
- Smoking is illegal in school.
- Tippex is banned in school as it is an irritant and stains personal belongings and school property.
- Chewing gum is not allowed as it destroys carpets and desks
- Full school uniform should be worn each day and when attending school events.
- School activities are privileges. Students whose behaviour is unacceptable will not be allowed represent the school.